National Pesticide Information Center:

What precautions should I take when using pesticides on my pet?
Use care when applying pesticides directly to pets.
Follow the label directions carefully, and be sure to use the correct amount of product for the animal being treated.
Most topical formulations are applied according to the animal’s weight.
Use sprays, shampoos or topical products according to the label instructions.
Never use more than the directions state as this can poison your pet.
Products labeled for use on “dogs only” should never be used on cats or other animals.
Products designed for adult cats or dogs should never be used on kittens or puppies unless the label states that the product may be used on younger animals.
If you have more than one pet, consider separating the animals after treatment to prevent one from licking or touching the pesticide applied to the other.
Avoid petting and keep children away from treated pets until the product has dried.
Make sure you follow the precautions on the label for protecting yourself while applying pesticides to pets.
Pets are prone to shaking, jumping and other behaviors that can lead to unwanted pesticide exposures.
If you need advice on which product(s) to use on your pet, you might consider contacting a veterinarian for information.
Some parasites can be controlled with pharmaceuticals rather than pesticides.

Pet Poisoning:
Sometimes even careful use of a pesticide can cause harm to a sensitive, ill, or injured animal. If you suspect your pet has been exposed to a pesticide and you need assistance, call your veterinarian or NPIC (1-800-858-7378).

If your pet is having difficulty breathing, is bleeding, having tremors, seizures, convulsions, or is unconscious, contact a veterinarian or animal poison control center immediately. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center can be contacted at 1-888- 426-4435. A consultation fee may apply.

As the agency responsible for regulating pesticide products, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) collects information about pesticide-related illness in humans and animals. Accurate information helps them determine whether additional regulations are needed. If you suspect that a pesticide made your pet sick, report the incident to the National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC), which operates under a cooperative agreement with EPA. If your veterinarian diagnosed pesticide illness in your pet, he or she is invited to report the incident in NPIC’s Veterinary Incident Reporting Portal.