Pesticide poisoning of your dog:

What is Pesticides Poisoning:
Pesticides are either chemical or natural substances that are produced naturally or scientifically to kill pests. These agents are created to attract, entice, and then kill unwanted predators or substances. These biocides are used to kill a variety of unwanted bugs, plants, fungi, rodents, larvae, and bacteria. Unfortunately, pesticides are prevalent; they are found in a variety of places such as in homes, garages, on farms, in sheds, in the yard, and on plants. Pesticides should not be used outdoors when the dog is present, as this is one way poisoning can occur. If the dog has come into contact with a very small amount of pesticide, such as a whiff of spray from a spray can, general irritation may occur and may not be a cause for alarm. However, if the dog is showing any signs of distress or if you know that your dog has ingested a form of pesticide, it is imperative to get him to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Pesticides poisoning in dogs transpires as a result of consuming or inhaling various forms of pesticides. Pesticide poisoning in dogs is not uncommon, namely because pesticides are readily used in and around the home or in public areas.

Symptoms of Pesticides Poisoning in Dogs:
Since there are many types of pesticides, there are a wide variety of symptoms due to poisoning. Symptoms of pesticide poisoning in dogs include: Vomiting Rapid breathing Distress Diarrhea Drooling Confusion Excessive drinking Pawing at the face or eyes Dilation of pupils Lethargy Tremors Skin irritations Skin rashes Burns Seizures Arrhythmia Collapse Coma Death

There are many types of pesticides, and these poisons are characterized by the types and usage. Types of pesticides are Herbicides, used to kill unwanted plants or vegetation Insecticides, used to kill insects Rodenticides, used to kill rats and mice Fungicides, used to kill fungi Bactericides, such as disinfectants or antiseptics to kill bacteria Larvicides, used to kill mosquitoes or larvae

Causes of Pesticides Poisoning in Dogs:
The cause of pesticide poisoning in dogs is from the ingestion or inhalation of a specific type of pesticide. Pesticide poisoning negatively affects the dog by: Adversely affecting the central nervous system Inhibiting central nervous system enzymes Causing chemical burns on the skin, and the mouth, or in the eyes Adversely affecting enzymes of other organ systems, such as the heart, liver, and kidneys

Diagnosis of Pesticides Poisoning in Dogs:
If you suspect your dog has come into contact with a pesticide, immediately take him to the veterinarian. It is important to communicate with your veterinarian about your dog’s history of contact with any pesticide, even if you are not positive that he ingested or inhaled any of the compound. Even if you suspect any contact, the veterinarian will have more of an idea on what to do in terms of diagnosing and treating your companion. The veterinarian will do a complete examination including any blood work, urinalysis, and a biochemistry profile. The biochemistry profile will be used to evaluate the functions of your dog’s kidney, pancreas, sugar processes, and liver. Another very important part of evaluating your dog will be the careful monitoring of his clinical signs. The veterinarian will also test your dog’s electrolyte levels to be sure the poisoning is not dehydrating him or causing an electrolyte balance abnormality. If you are completely sure that your dog ingested a type of pesticide, your veterinarian may choose to begin treatment immediately as he is waiting on the results of testing. Each situation is different, and your veterinarian is trained to look at the symptoms and make a diagnosis of toxicity.

Treatment of Pesticides Poisoning in Dogs:
Depending on the type of pesticide your dog ingested, and the severity of his condition, your veterinarian will begin treatment. Treatment may include the following methods: Removal of Residue If your dog has come into contact with the pesticide on his skin and fur, he will need bathing to remove any residue from the pesticides. Your veterinarian will use the proper shampoo or detergent to effectively remove the pesticide. Emesis If your dog ingested type of pesticide that is not a hydrocarbon, the veterinarian may induce vomiting to help him get rid of the poison. It is important to not use vomiting if the dog has consumed hydrocarbons since much damage, such as aspiration into the lungs, can occur. Activated Charcoal Activated charcoal may be given to absorb the toxic substances that have been left over even after vomiting. Activated charcoal prevents the poison from entering the dog’s system. Drugs Depending on the type of pesticide ingested, the veterinarian will make the decision on the types of medications that are needed. For example, atropine is used in many poisonings to stabilize the central nervous system. IV Fluids and Oxygen Therapy IV fluids may be given if the dog is dehydrated and oxygen therapy is effective in assisting the dog with breathing during times of respiratory distress.

Recovery of Pesticides Poisoning in Dogs:
Recovery depends on the type of pesticide, the amount ingested, and the response time for treatment. If your dog has positively responded to treatment, your veterinarian will want to keep a watchful eye on him for at least 24 hours. The physician will tell you any information you need in regards to your dog’s recovery and prognosis. Since there are many types of pesticides, the severity of the toxicity will vary, as will the recovery process. If your dog is recovering at home, it is important to contact your veterinarian if any symptoms develop that cause alarm. Your veterinarian will give you instructions on your dog’s aftercare and management. He will also want to see him at a follow-up appointment to be sure he is recovering properly.